Street Pastors is an initiative of Ascension Trust. Individual Street Pastors are Christian adults with a concern for their community, who undergo 12 days of training in order to voluntarily patrol the streets of towns and cities at night, helping and caring for people in practical ways.
Street Pastors help to provide a reassuring presence in local communities.
Individual Street Pastors seek to listen to and talk with people in their local community, to provide information on local agencies, help and services, and to discourage anti-social behaviour.
What we do
“Street Pastors is about Christians rolling up their sleeves and getting involved in practically responding to the problems of crime and safety…”
We provide practical support, including:
- Flip-flops [we know high-heels aren’t always the most comfortable]
- Bottled water [hydration is key!]
- Spikey bottle stoppers [to help prevent people’s drinks being spiked]
- Clearing away broken glass and tins [to protect people from getting injured]
- Helping people get home safely
As a Local Initiative of the Global Street Pastor Movement, our mission is to engage, train and mobilise Christian volunteers from different churches, to be relevant in public life as salt and light addressing issues of vulnerability and social exclusion through the principle of caring, listening and helping people. We work in partnership with the police, local authorities and other voluntary organisations to achieve our goals and attain greater social cohesion in our community.
The Street Pastor Movement embraces Christians from a range of denominations with a passion for Jesus and for the betterment of the community, who adhere to the following five core values:
- The Sacredness and Sanctity of Human Life
- Valuing and Honouring the Community
- Being a Person of Integrity
- Taking Personal Responsibility
- Promoting the Growth and Development of the Individual to their Fullest Potential