We come from many different churches in Hackney to bring a Christlike presence to the streets on Friday and Saturday nights. There’s no such thing as a typical Street Pastor – we are different ages, nationalities, and we come from all walks of life. All of us care about Hackney and the people who make it such a lively and interesting place.
We have built up good relationships with door staff and with people who are out for a good time in the evening.
Our patrols are about caring, listening and helping others. On a typical night we:
- build relationships within the community
- make sure people are safe
- offer a listening ear
- help vulnerable people
- clear broken glass and bottles
- give out flip flops preventing injury to feet from glass
- supply bottles of water to those who are dehydrated
- give out blankets to keep people warm
- care for people who are hurt or unwell until help arrives