During March there were:
- 4 Friday night patrols
- 3 Saturday night patrols
- 7 Patrols totalling 36 hours of cover involving 21 Street Pastors
- 16 pairs of flip-flops given and 270 lollies and Love Hearts
Here are some of the ways Street Pastor teams cared, listened and helped in March:
- Gave flip-flops and bottles of water to those in need
- Chatted to young people, especially at Sweatbox Youth Club
- Calmed several situations preventing escalation
- Cared for several people who were unwell having drunk too much
In many ways March was peaceful on the streets of Wantage and Grove. Many of our teams reported fairly quiet evenings and spent time chatting to groups of young people and others around Wantage and Grove.
We were able to help 16 young ladies with a pair of flip-flops and we gave bottles of water to several people.
One of our teams visited Sweatbox Youth Club and spent time chatting to many of the 130+ young people and staff members. Our lollipops seemed quite popular too!
On one occasion, a taxi driver alerted us to a body on the ground in Wantage town centre. We found a very drunk man who was being cared for by two friends. We gave water and wet-wipes and stayed with them while they waited for a relative to come and collect them.
We were on hand to provide a calming influence and keep a eye on a number of people who were either in heated debate or perhaps goading each other a little. Thankfully, none of these escalated to anything more serious.
We are pleased to announce that our website has been updated recently: wantageandgrove.streetpastors.org.uk