During May there were:
- 4 Friday night patrols
- 3 Saturday night patrols
- 7 Patrols totalling 36 hours of cover involving 22 Street Pastors
- 11 pairs of flip-flops given and 340 lollies and Love Hearts
Here are some of the ways Street Pastor teams cared, listened and helped in May:
- Offered help to an unwell man lying on the pavement
- Kept an eye on a man sleeping in Wantage
- Stayed with a distressed young lady until her friend came to collect her
- Gave flip-flops and chatted to a young lady in Wantage
One of our teams offered to help a man that was unwell and found lying on the ground in Wantage. He had a number of friends with him and declined any help from us. We were able to keep an eye on them from a distance. The man’s friends took care of him and were able to get him into a taxi and take him home.
Another man was found asleep on a bench at the bus stop in Wantage but after being woken by passing revellers declined any help from us. We later found him asleep on the ground behind Barclays Bank but proved more difficult to wake. Being the end of our shift and not being able to wake him, we checked that he was ok, wrapped a space blanket around him and spoke to the police asking them to take responsibility for him.
A lady in her mid-twenties approached us and asked for a pair of flip-flops, which we were glad to be able to provide. She spent some time talking with the team and asking us lots of questions about church and about God.
We spent some time with a distressed young lady and friend while they waited for someone to come and collect them and take them home.