What is a Street Pastor?
A Street Pastor is someone who cares, listens and helps on the streets at night in their local area. We do not preach but try to show God’s love in action.
Who can become a Street Pastor?
In order to be a Street Pastor you must fulfil the following criteria:
- be at least 18 years old
- a practising Christian church member for at least one year (a reference will need to be provided by your vicar/priest/minister)
- undertake the training some of which is online and two supervised patrols over a period of 3 months, (the in-person sessions are currently held in London SE11) .
- obtain a DBS check.
Please note that once you have expressed an interest in training, you may be invited to an interview with the HSPI committee and/or an active Street Pastor.
What time commitments are required to be a Street Pastor?
Initially when you first make the decision to become a Street Pastor, you will have to commit to doing the training. The training is ESSENTIAL, held by Ascension Trust and it consists of some in-person training in London and some online training and two supervised patrols (Friday nights in Hounslow). This training is spread over a course of 3 months. The next Training starts in February 2023.
Before you can go out on the Friday night patrols as a Street Pastor, you need to complete a minimum of four training modules and be DBS checked.
At Hounslow Street Pastors we usually go out once a month on a Friday night between 9.30 p.m. and 1.30 a.m. The Team usually consists of 4 Street Pastors on patrol and at least 2 Prayer Pastors at base. Once fully trained, you are expected to commit to patrolling one Friday evening per month for at least one year.
How much does it cost to become a Street Pastor?
Although there is a cost for training, including use of the uniform we are able to subsidise this so all we ask is that you pay a £50 deposit which is refundable on completion of training. Financial contributions from yourself or your church are always welcome in order to allow us to continue subsidising the Training in future.
How can I find out more before I commit?
We recommend coming out as an Observer on one of the patrols in Hounslow as a good way to find out about our ministry. Please get in touch to arrange a time to do this.
You can also find out more on the national website www.streetpastors.org
or on our Facebook page – Hounslow Street Pastors (don’t forget to “Like” us to get updates).
Becoming a Street Pastor is not for me. How else can I be involved?
- Whilst the team goes out on patrol, we have Prayer Pastors praying at our base in Holy Trinity Hounslow. We would welcome people to join this part of our ministry too. You only need to be a committed Christian, and no training is involved. You would need to be interviewed prior to joining by the HSPI committee and/or existing Prayer Pastors and a recommendation from your priest/vicar/minister may be requested.
- Join the HSPI committee. We value anyone who can give a couple of hours per month to help promote, fund raise, advertise, etc. Again, no training required, however you would need to be interviewed prior to joining by the HSPI committee and a recommendation from your local priest/vicar/minister may be requested.
- If you are fortunate enough to be able to help us financially…any donations will be gratefully accepted. Please enquire as to what our bank account details are or simply write a cheque to “Hounslow Street Pastors”. Your contribution is what we rely on.
- Prayer is what we need to sustain and grow within the community. Please pray for us.
More questions? Please feel free to ask by email using the form on the Contact Page.